May 11, 2017
3047 SINGAPORE - Sultan Mosque
Masjid Sultan, or Sultan Mosque, is the principal place of Islamic worship in Singapore, located at Muscat Street and North Bridge Road within the Kampong Glam precinct of the district of Rochor. Built between 1924 and 1928 by the architect Denis Santry of Swan and Maclaren, who adopted a Saracenic style, it
has stayed essentially unchanged since then, with only repairs carried out to the main hall in the 1960s and an annex added in 1993.
When Singapore was ceded to the British in 1819, Temenggong Abdul Rahman, the island's chief, and Sultan Hussain Shah of Johore, under whose jurisdiction Singapore fell, acquired small fortunes in exchange for their power. Sir Stamford Raffles also granted the Temenggong and the Sultan an annual stipend and the use of neighbourhood Kampong Glam for their residence. This area was also allocated for Malays and other Muslims. Hussain built a palace there and brought his family and a complete entourage from the Riau islands.
Sultan Hussain then decided to build a mosque befitting his status, and did this from 1824 to 1826. In 1914, the lease was extended by the government for a further 999 years and a new board of trustees was appointed, with two representatives from each faction of the Muslim community. By the early 1900s, Singapore had become a centre for Islamic commerce, culture and art. Sultan Mosque soon became too small for this burgeoning community. In 1924, the year of the mosque's centenary, the trustees approved a plan to erect a new mosqu, the one from today.
About the stamps
The stamp is part of the series Street Scenes, designed by Lim An-ling.
1.15 SGD - It's on the postcard 3047
Masjid Sultan - Wikipedia
Sent from Singapore, on 29.04.2017